Pascoe Vale South
The suburb of Pascoe Vale South is 9 km north of Melbourne’s CBD. Its boundaries include O’Hea St to the north, Moonee Ponds Creek to the west, Moreland Rd to the south and Sussex St, Rose St and Melville Rd to the east. It is 3 km2 in size and has a population of approximately 9550. Its local government is the City of Moreland.
The Pascoe Vale area was originally part of the John Pascoe Fawkner estate. A large parcel of this land, now known as Pascoe Vale South, was purchased by a wealthy surgeon and magistrate by the name of Dr Farquhar McCrae who, in 1842, built a single story basalt house in the colonial Georgian style named “La Rose”. The land was progressively subdivided from the 1900’s and there was significant development from the 1920’s when the area was subdivided further to accommodate returned service men and their families. “La Rose” is now known as Wentworth house and is located at 22 Le Cateau St. The post office was opened on 1 August 1927. The majority of building activity culminated in the 1950’s and 60’s and homes were built from both timber and brick. Today’s new buildings mainly consist of redeveloped house blocks accommodating townhouses and units.
To coincide with the rapid development of post war dwellings, the tram route No 55 was extended to Bell St and today the area is serviced by bus routes number 510, 513 and 527. Pascoe Vale South has easy access to City Link allowing for prompt connection to Melbourne’s CBD as well as Tullamarine Airport. Cyclists have access to the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail.
The Bell St/Melville Rd shopping precinct offers local residents a selection of retail shopping and cafes, fast food outlets and restaurants.
There is a good selection of schools in the area including:
- Pascoe Vale South PS
- Pascoe Vale PS
- St Oliver Plunkett PS
- Pascoe Vale Girls College
- Strathmore Secondary College
Pascoe Vale is a family friendly area with access to various sporting clubs and grounds in the area such as Morris Reserve and Woodlands Reserve. A new playground at Shore Reserve on the corner of Melville Rd and Reynard St offers fun sculptures, sand play and climbing frames while at Brearley Reserve you can find a flying fox, hilltop slide and exercise equipment stations.
Moreland City Council: www.moreland.vic.gov.au