Glenroy is located 13km north of Melbourne’s CBD and is bounded by the Western Ring Rd in the north, the Moonee Ponds Creek in the west, New Rd, Victoria St and Rhodes Pde in the south and West St, Hilton St, Box Forest Rd and the Upfield railway line in the east. It is governed locally by the City of Moreland and is 9.1km2 in size. At the 2011 Census, Glenroy has a population of 19,664.
Originally home to the Wurundjeri people, Glenroy was established in the1880’s with the Glenroy Post Office opening in 1888. Today Glenroy has many buildings on the Victorian Heritage Register including Wiseman House corner Melbourne Ave and Widford St, and Gowrie House, Gowrie St. After World War 2, however, large areas of Glenroy were developed to accommodate returning service men and their families, and continued rapidly through the 50’s and 60’s to cater for working class families.
Glenroy has several shopping districts with the main area being on Pascoe Vale Rd and Glenroy Rd where Coles is situated. Nearby is the Wheatsheaf Rd Shopping district. Other smaller shopping strips such as Justin Ave Shops are dotted around Glenroy. You can find several cafes, take away and eat in restaurants located within these shopping districts as well a medical practises and dentists.
Public transport is within easy reach with the Craigieburn and Upfield railway lines as well as several bus routes operated by Dyson’s Bus Services. The Moonee Ponds Creek Trail and the Western Ring Road Trail provide facilities for recreational and commuting cyclists. Motorists have easy access to Pascoe Vale Rd, Tullamarine Freeway and Western Ring Road.
There are many schools in the area including:
- Corpus Christi P.S
- Glenroy Central P.S
- Glenroy West P.S
- Ballert Merrup Community College
- Penola Catholic College
- Glenroy College.
There are also a selection of kindergartens and child care centres.
The Glenroy Football Club was founded in 1946 and shares its home with the Glenroy Cricket Club located on Glenroy Road near the Northern Golf Club, which boasts a first class course first established in 1912.
Moreland City Council: www.moreland.vic.gov.au